Library Cards for Faculty


UBC Faculty

  • Your UBC Faculty ID card is your Library card
  • You need a valid card to borrow Library materials and access online resources and services
  • Eligible faculty hold active appointments with and are paid by UBC
  • Obtain your card from the UBC Carding Office
  • Certain units on campus are ineligible for UBCcards at this time (look under “Staff Appointments” on the drop down menu) and should apply for or renew library cards at Koerner Library. Call 604-822-2406 for more information


UBC Okanagan Faculty


UBC Clinical Faculty

  • Eligible faculty hold active UBC appointments
  • Apply for library access
    • In person at the UBC Carding Office for your UBC faculty ID card or
    • Online to request, activate, or renew a library card. You will need your UBC ID number to apply online. If you have not received it, contact Clinical Faculty Affairs at 604-875-4111 ext. 68647 or email


Faculty Authorization Library Card

  • UBC Faculty may request that others borrow library materials and access services in their name for their UBC academic use
  • UBC Faculty complete the Faculty Authorization Form and bring it along with one piece of government-issued photo ID (e.g., driver’s licence, passport) to one of the UBC Library locations listed on the form for processing


Visiting Faculty

  • Visiting Faculty with a Visiting Faculty Appointment apply for a UBCcard with the UBC Carding Office
  • Visiting Faculty without a Visiting Faculty Appointment may be eligible to access library resources through reciprocal borrowing arrangements
  • Visiting Faculty collaborating with UBC Faculty members on their research, can request the UBC faculty member authorize them to borrow library materials and access services in their name through the issuance of a Faculty Authorization Library Card


Did You Know?

  • Emeriti and retired faculty may continue to use their UBCcard to borrow materials and access library resources and services
  • UBC faculty planning to use libraries at other universities may be eligible to access the institution’s library resources free of charge through reciprocal borrowing arrangements
  • Forgot your UBC faculty ID and need to borrow library materials?
    • Apply for a temporary library card at Koerner Library or any of the Life Sciences branch libraries
    • You’ll need to show one piece of government-issued photo ID (e.g., driver’s licence, passport)
    • Patrons are limited to the issuance of one temp card per term
  • Lost or stolen cards issued by the UBC Carding Office can be reported online
  • Lost or stolen cards issued by UBC Library can be reported to Koerner Library at 604-822-2406, Okanagan Library at 250-807-9107 or online