Library Access for Faculty

UBC Faculty

  • Your UBCcard is your library card.
  • Obtain your card from the UBC Carding Office
  • A valid UBCcard is required to borrow books and use library services.
  • A valid UBC CWL account is required to access library eResources.

UBC Faculty Emeriti

  • UBC Emeriti Faculty must have an appointment with UBC Human Resources that reflects their emeriti status. They may then apply for a new UBCcard. Faculty emeriti will have access to Library services (borrow books, place interlibrary requests, etc) plus remote access to Library eResources (using their CWL login).

UBC Retired Faculty

  • UBC Retired faculty must have an appointment with UBC Human Resources that reflects their retired status. They will have access to Library services (borrow books, place interlibrary loan request, etc). Retired faculty who do not have emeriti status will not have remote access to Library eResources.

UBC Okanagan Faculty

UBC Clinical Faculty

  • Eligible faculty hold active UBC appointments and a valid Campus Wide Login (CWL).
  • A valid CWL that is associated with your Employee ID is required to access UBC library eResources.
  • Apply for your UBCcard (Vancouver campus | Kelowna campus) to access additional library services (including borrowing physical books, placing Interlibrary Loan requests).
  • You will need your UBC Employee ID number to apply for your UBCcard. If you have not received it, contact Clinical Faculty Affairs by email:
  • Contact UBC library to enquire about the status of your current library privileges at

Faculty Authorization Library Account

  • UBC Faculty can authorize remote access to UBC library eResources to people they are working with through a Faculty Authorization library account.
  • Complete the Faculty Authorization Form and submit the document as a PDF to for processing. The account details will then be sent by email.

Visiting Faculty

Did You Know?

  • UBC faculty planning to use libraries at other universities may be eligible to access the institution’s library resources through reciprocal borrowing arrangements
  • Students who have forgotten their UBCcard and need to borrow library materials may apply for a temporary library card at any UBC branch library. One piece of government-issued, photo ID (e.g., driver’s licence, passport) must be shown when applying for a temporary library card and only one card may be issued per academic term.
  • Lost or stolen cards can be reported to the UBC Carding Office, Koerner Library at 604-822-2406, Okanagan Library at 250-807-9107 or online