- Instructors can place digital and physical course support items on Library reserve
- Loan periods may be shortened if more than one faculty member requests the same item or book or if the Library Reserves staff otherwise deem it necessary
- Unused items may be removed from the short term loan at the discretion of Library Reserves Staff
Physical Course Reserve Loan Regulations
- Borrowing privileges are limited to UBC students and faculty
- Extended loans may be allowed for material not in demand or required for courses
- 1, 3 and 7 day loans are due at closing time on the due date
- 2 hour loans are due in 2 hours except if borrowed within 2 hours of closing, then due time is 60 minutes after opening the next day
- Course reserves must be returned during open hours to the Circulation Desk of the Branch where you borrowed them.
Course Reserve Fines
- 1, 3 & 7 day loans: $5 a day to a maximum of $30 per item
- 2 hour loans: $1 an hour
- Lost charges are added for items more than 28 days overdue
Digital Course Support Items
- Digital Course Support Items can be made available through Library Course Reserves in Connect. Access is restricted to students actively enrolled in your course.
- Links to licensed items available in the Library’s digital collections (e.g. electronic journal articles, e-books, streaming videos, etc.) can be made available immediately
- Links to appropriately licensed online articles and websites will be made available once library staff have verified the site’s terms of service and copyright notice. Please ensure that you are linking to an authorized rights holder.
- Some resources in the Library’s digital collections are not licensed for instruction and will require permission to be placed on Reserve. You will be notified by Library staff if this additional step is required for any item you request
- For questions regarding digital copyright, licensing or permissions, please consult the Copyright website (http://copyright.ubc.ca) or contact the Scholarly Communications & Copyright office (email@example.com)
Physical Course Support Items
- Items in the Library’s physical collections (e.g. books, DVDs, CDs, etc.) can be requested for short-term loan to ensure students have access through the Ares reserve management system or by completing the online form
- Items in the Library’s physical collections will be processed and made available within 14 days
- Items that are not currently held by the Library may be requested through the manual submission form in Library Course Reserves in Connect or by completing the online form but may take 2 to 3 months to order and process
- Items in the physical collections may be placed on 2 hour, 1 day, 3 day or 7 day loan
- Personal copies of items can be made available through Library Reserves by submitting the manual form through the Library Course Reserves in Connect and by notifying Library Reserve staff in the item Notes field. The item will be processed and made available within 14 days of receiving the item at the Library branch. This includes non-traditional items (e.g. geological samples)
- Library Reserves does not accept photocopied chapters or articles due to Copyright restrictions. You may request these items through the manual submission form in the Library Course Reserves in Connect. Permission may take 4-6 weeks or longer to process. Please have a clean copy ready to be made available as a digital copy through Library Course Reserves in Connect.