- Requests for material to be retrieved from the ASRS can be submitted using the Library’s online catalogue.
- Items must be picked up at the Circulation Desk of the I. K. Barber Learning Centre.
- Items will usually be available for pickup in approximately 15 minutes between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday, and after 30 minutes at all other opening hours.
- If you are travelling a far distance to pick up an item you have requested from the ASRS, it is recommended that you call the Irving K. Barber Learning Centre’s Circulation Desk first to ensure your item is available: (604) 822-8149.
Retrieving materials from the ASRS in five easy steps:
- Search for materials using the Library’s online catalogue at http://search.library.ubc.ca/#catalogue.
- If the location of your item is I. K. Barber Learning Centre ASRS storage and its status is Available, you may place an online request.
- Click on the Request this item: Recall/ASRS link in the “Actions” box on the right-hand side of the screen.
3. Log in
- In the next screen, you need to login to the Library Catalogue using either your UBC/Library barcode and PIN, or using CWL if you are a student.
- If you do not have a library card, a staff member at the Circulation Desk of the I. K. Barber Learning Centre can retrieve the item for you.
- After you have logged in, select ASRS Request from the list of available links to place an ASRS request.
- Next, Select an Item and choose to Pick Up At I.K. BARBER circulation.*
- Click Submit.
5. Pick up
- This message indicates that your request was successful.
- You can pick up your material from the Circulation Desk of the I. K. Barber Learning Centre usually within 10 minutes.
- Requested materials will be held for 3 days.
What is the Automated Storage and Retrieval System?
UBC Library is the first in Canada to use this technology to provide fast, easy and effective storage and retrieval. The system operates in a secure, climate-controlled setting, providing an optimal environment for the preservation of print and other materials. With a capacity of 1.8 million volumes, the ASRS is located inside the Irving K. Barber Learning Centre at 1961 East Mall.
Materials previously kept in the closed storage areas of Main Library as well as materials selected by Library bibliographers and advisory committees are housed in the ASRS. These materials include, but are not limited to:
- Older and lesser used social science materials
- Pre-1978 language and literature in Slavic, East European, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, German, and Asian languages
- UBC theses
- Older editions of children’s literature
- Vinyl LPs
- Books in Indic languages not taught at UBC
- Music bound periodicals (a selection)
- Science & engineering bound periodicals
- Selected items from various UBC Libraries