About The Materials Pick-Up Service
To support UBC faculty, students and staff during COVID-19, UBC Library is now offering a Materials Pick-Up Service to provide access to its physical collection. The service is not available to alumni and community borrowers at this time.
UBC students, faculty and staff can order up to 10 items per person per week. This includes scans of journal articles and book chapters adhering to Copyright Requirements for UBC Faculty and Staff.
Please see the Place an Order, Pick Up an Order and FAQ tabs for more details.
Place an Order
To place a Materials Pick-Up Service order, please follow these steps:
- Find the item in the Library Catalogue.
- From the blue Actions menu, select Get It.
- Log in with your CWL (Campus Wide Login).
- Select the copy you want to borrow.
- Choose to create a Loan Request or a Copy Request (article/chapter).
- Select a pickup location: Koerner Library or Okanagan Library.
- Add information and/or comments.
- Submit your request.
Pick Up an Order
- Wait for a confirmation email indicating that your items are ready to pick up. Material should be available within 7 business days.
- Within 2 weeks, come to the main entrance of Koerner Library (1958 Main Mall) during pick up hours: Monday – Thursday, 11:00 am – 2:00 pm.
- Line up following physical distancing markers placed outside of Koerner Library.
- When it is your turn, proceed to the table at the entrance, place your UBC ID face up on the table, and then step back.
- Library staff will then approach, verify the ID without touching the card, retrieve the corresponding bag of pre-signed out materials, place it on the table, and then step back.
- Once Library staff has deposited the materials and stepped back, step forward to retrieve your UBC ID and bag of materials.
- Library staff will wipe down the table with disinfectant between each interaction.
- Your books will be signed out to you ahead of time and placed in the lockers on floor zero of the Commons building (lower Fitz Hall).
- When your item is ready, we will send you an email with the locker number and combination.
- Come to campus, visit the lockers on floor zero of the Commons building (lower Fitz Hall). The Commons is currently open from 8am-8pm seven days a week.
- Unlock the locker using the combination provided.
For more information on the UBC Okanagan Materials Pick-Up Service visit:
How can I access UBC library’s physical collection?
UBC faculty, students and staff can access library materials by placing an order through the Materials Pick-Up Service. Please see the Place an Order tab.
Alumni and community members cannot access the physical collection at this time.
Is there a limit to the number of items I can borrow and/or have scanned?
Yes. The limit is 10 items per person per week.
Can I request scanned copies of print materials?
Yes. Articles and book chapters will be made available digitally adhering to Copyright Requirements for UBC Faculty and Staff.
Can I access print Course Reserves?
During the physical closure of UBC Library, print Course Reserves are unavailable for Loan Requests; however, Copy Requests can be made for articles and book chapters adhering to Copyright Requirements for UBC Faculty and Staff. UBC Library Online Course Reserves (LOCR) remains available.
How can I access non-circulating items?
During the physical closure of UBC Library, non-circulating items are unavailable for Loan Requests; however, Copy Requests can be made for articles and book chapters adhering to Copyright Requirements for UBC Faculty and Staff.
Can I access rare, archival and special collections material?
No. During the physical closure of UBC Library, items held in UBC Archives and Rare Books and Special Collections are unavailable.
The item I want is signed out. Can I place a hold/recall?
No. All holds/recalls are suspended during the physical closure of UBC Library.
When can I pick up materials requested through the Materials Pick-Up Service?
Material should be available for pick up within 7 business days and held for 2 weeks. You will receive an email notification when your materials are ready.
– Pick up hours for UBC Vancouver are Monday – Thursday, from 11:00 am – 2:00 pm.
– Pick up hours for UBC Okanagan are Monday – Sunday, from 8:00 am – 8:00 pm.
Where do I pick up materials requested through the Materials Pick-Up Service?
UBC Vancouver campus: Koerner Library, Main Entrance, 1958 Main Mall
UBC Okanagan campus: Commons building (lower Fitz Hall), 3297 University Way
If I can’t travel to campus, can materials be mailed to me? Or can someone else pick up my materials?
Unfortunately materials cannot be mailed at this time; however, you can designate a proxy to pick up material. To arrange a proxy pick up, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are unable to get to campus or foresee issues with picking up material due to a disability-related reason, please contact your primary Accessibility Advisor. You may also contact the Centre for Accessibility at email@example.com.
When are the materials I borrow due back?
At this time, all borrowed materials have the due date of September 14, 2020.
How can I return materials?
Please do not return library materials unless absolutely necessary. If you are leaving the Vancouver area and will not be able to return materials at a later date, please use either the Koerner Library or Irving K. Barber Learning Centre outside book drops. Returned items will not be reflected on your library account until the physical branches reopen.
I have an outstanding late fee (overdue fine) on my account. What should I do?
UBC Library will forgive all fees/fines that began accruing on March 16th, 2020. Any fees/fines accrued prior to March 16, 2020 are still in effect. Students are able to pay fees/fines through the UBC Student Services Centre. Faculty and staff can pay fees/fines when the UBC Library reopens.
Is the Library expanding access to electronic resources during COVID-19?
Yes. The Library has expanded access to electronic resources and is continuing to do so. If you need library material that the library does not currently license in electronic format, please send a request to the appropriate subject librarian. If the requested material is for a course, please use Library Online Course Reserves (LOCR), or send your request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
What is the Library doing to stop the spread of COVID-19?
The safety of our community is our highest priority. Library employees will follow all directives from the BC Provincial Government and WorkSafeBC, including physical distancing, wearing gloves, sanitizing and disinfecting workspaces and equipment, and frequent handwashing. The Library will also quarantine materials for 48 hours between hand-offs to mitigate the spread of COVID-19.
Can I disinfect library materials when I pick them up?
No. All materials will have been quarantined for 48 hours. Disinfectants will damage library materials.