What is EZproxy?
EZproxy is a web proxy server which acts as an authentication system for users to verify that they are current UBC students, faculty or staff members. Many of the journals and databases that the Library subscribes to require this verification for off-campus access because of license agreements between the library and its vendors and publishers. Once signed in to the proxy server, EZproxy dynamically rewrites URLs of electronic resources provided by database vendors, producing the same effect as if the off-campus user was accessing them via the UBC network or from a Library computer terminal.
Who can use EZproxy?
Current UBC students, faculty, and staff members are able to use EZproxy and can log in using their CWL account or UBC/Library card barcode. If you are having trouble logging in, please get in touch with the IT Service Centre Help Desk for CWL account management or contact a Library circulation desk or use the online PIN reset form to reset your Library account login.
Is EZproxy the only way to access e-resources?
Generally, you do not need to use EZproxy if you are connected to UBC’s wireless network ubcsecure,not ubcvisitor, or are using a computer located within the UBC network, such as a Library workstation. However, a few resources always require EZproxy.
For off-campus usage, as of January 2013, myVPN is no longer available as a mode of access to the Library’s e-resources (however, other UBC services are still available via myVPN, such as the Faculty and Staff Self-Service portal). For more information on why the Library made this change, please see the EZproxy VPN FAQ.
Faculty members and graduate students may not need to connect via EZproxy if they’ve set up a remote desktop on a home computer; simply open the browser on a campus computer to connect as if on campus. Note: Remote desktop software is managed and supported by departmental IT units, not the Library.
EZproxy connectivity is also not necessary for library resources free of subscription-based licensing agreements such as those in cIRcle (UBC's digital repository), UBC Library’s Digital Collections, the DOAJ Directory of Open Access Journals, or marked as Open Access in our Indexes and Databases portal.
How do I connect to EZproxy?
Unlike a VPN, there is no need to install or configure any software.
To connect to EZproxy, simply go to the Library homepage at www.library.ubc.ca
Click on ‘Login’ on the right side of the top navigation menu. Note: 'Login' is always included in the Library's website navigation menu and is available from all other pages on the Library website.
Select ‘EZproxy Login’ from the drop-down
You will be directed to the EZproxy Login and prompted to enter either your CWL or Library Barcode/PIN.
Alternatively, you can also bookmark the EZproxy login page to access it directly.
It is recommended that you login to EZproxy before beginning your search for journals, ebooks, and databases. For your convenience, all of the resources listed on UBC Library’s Indexes & Databases pages are accessed via EZproxied links that will connect you to licensed content automatically if you are logged in, or prompt you to do so if you are not.
- If you can't connect to a resource via EZproxy, check first to make sure that the problem isn't on the side of the resource. UBC Library eResources maintains and updates a blog providing the latest news on database and system periods of downtime.
- If you are having difficulty connecting to EZproxy from a business, corporate, or other secure network it may be due to firewall restrictions and you will need to consult the network admin or IT department in order to configure your firewall settings to allow you access.
- You may receive an error message when trying to access an electronic resource for which UBC Library does not provide access. You will only be able to access electronic resources which are licensed by UBC Library and have been added to the Library's EZproxy configuration file. If you receive an error message and are denied access to an academic resource that you think the Library may have a license for, please contact the Library's Technical Services Department via the Electronic Resources: Questions and Comments form.
Barcode/PIN and CWL
If you are having trouble logging in to EZproxy, invalid PINs can be reset:
- By calling Borrower Services: 604-822-2406
Note: New PINs may take up to 20 minutes to take effect.
For issues related to your CWL account, contact UBC IT Help Desk by:
- Phone: 604-822-2008
- Email: Help Desk Contact Form
If there is an urgency to the problem, you can also reach Technical Services' e-Resources & Access unit by phone at 604-822-4192 between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Monday to Friday.